This week has been crazy, so I’m going to skip the usual Friday blog and just do some finishing up.
Travel Blog Clean Up
I wanted to alert anyone reading my travel blogs that I have updated the pdfs to have live links so if you want to do a little more exploring, get the new pdfs here. I’ve also uploaded the new pdfs to each blog post if you prefer to retrieve them there. Copenhagen. Krakow. Oslo.
Also, If you don’t get the newsletter you may want to read about Great Design. It resonated with me. Of course, you should also sign up for the newsletter!
Finishing Up Sheepspot Project (September Yarn)
Last week I wrote about my latest Sheepspot project and today I bound it off. That project has kind of gotten lost in the posts about Lisse Hat, so here is a bit of glory for it. I love the way the yarn is dyed and hope that it ends up being a happy design that I can write up for a real pattern.
I am not quite finished because I am putting modified fringe on the top-tail, but figure that is a good project for Friday night. Then I’ll wet block it because that seems to be what the yarn wants. I also need to give it a name.
Finishing Up Discovery
As I was considering binding off the Sheepspot project I began to wonder why I had never used Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. I looked it up and realized why–I already use it, but I call it the Yarn Over Bind Off. Jeny’s SSBO has a really nice refinement that I want to alert you to–because it makes it much nicer if you are working a stitch pattern.
The primary difference lies in how Jeny’s SSBO wraps her yarn overs:
- From back over needle to front and under needle to back to work a knit stitch.
- From front over needle to back and under needle to front to work a purl stitch.
- The lesser difference is that Jeny begins with a yarn over which is pulled over the first stitch, meaning the first stitch has the same relationship with the yarn over as subsequent stitches.
I’ll give you my refinement that I usually add when working in the round, but that isn’t in the written instructions. I worked the bind off in a contrasting color to make it easier to see.