Learn with Jill Wolcott Knits! I am a teacher at heart. I want to explain everything and help you understand in a way that works for you. I have some brain oddities that have made me more conscious of how each of us take in information.
Learning from Patterns
Here are the some things that impact my pattern-writing:
- My brain is not linear. This is so awesome as a creative person, but makes getting from point A to the end a journey. I go through an extensive writing process to get everything in, and in the correct order.
- Standard charts confuse me. My brain just can’t quickly do the if it is a knit on the RS it is a purl on the WS, so I created my Action charting system. Also, I handle increases and decreases in charts a little differently.
- I observe almost everything I do with an eye to how I’m going to explain it.
- When I am knitting I want everything spelled out in a way that doesn’t slow me down. I present line-by-line instructions in tables rather than paragraph form.
- Information needs to be accessible. My patterns always contain a schematic and a road map (sometimes combined), gauge information, yarn usage information, swatching stitch pattern instructions, and whatever techniques you may need. I tell you what cast on, bind off, increase, etc. I use, then hyperlink everything within the pattern so it is easy to jump to information when you need it.
- Charts and shaping charts make it easy to visualize what the written instructions say.
- When an embellishment is made, I include instructions for making it.
As a result, each pattern is like a mini-tutorial of how I achieved the result you see. You can follow the directions line-by-line, or get what you need.
Learning in Online Classes
I love to teach. I want to share everything I’ve learned on my journey, but again, not being linear can make this a challenge.
A System of Grading is being offered again in 2021 with the aid of Videos. I do the first three sessions live, then switch to videos. There is a live Lab every week where questions can be answered. The videos are of me actually teaching the material to a class.
Knitter’s Math Webinar is scheduled again. Look for more webinars!
I’m also teaching at Knitting 2021 Summit.
Using Video allows me to spend time designing new materials.
First new course in 2021 is Plus-size Grading. I will be offering this after the first ASOG 2021 sessions so the two do not conflict.