I was asked recently whether I blog about new designs. Since I’m relatively new to blogging, the answer is pretty simple, but the bigger question is: Do I keep it under wraps until it is ready for the big reveal, or do I leak bits of info along the way.
I wish there was an easy answer to this one because I am of several minds on this one!
▪ Often I find designing to be more of an internal process which I don’t always know how to share.
▪ I’m often excited about what I’m doing and would love to talk about it, but am afraid of spoiling the surprise.
▪ Sometimes the process isn’t that clear or easy to talk about. Really, is anyone interested in how many hours I worked on a spreadsheet to grade something into five or six sizes that all worked, or how many times I had to redraft the pattern to get everything in there? Or the fact that I knit swatches of the same thing for an entire week?
▪ Pictures. Nothing hangs me up more than pictures.
▪ What if I show or talk about what I’m doing then change my mind or never finish?
▪ What if as random bits of information, it looks uninteresting, incomplete or even stupid to someone outside looking into my process.
▪ What if someone takes my idea?
See, not so easy.