The reports are in for Spring 2018 Colors for fashion from New York and London Show. I’m sure I’ve said it before, it doesn’t matter what you think of them, they are what will be showing up in the months ahead. It is a matter of how they are use that will end up being interesting.
Spring 2018 Colors: Classics
I’m always most interested in the intersections between the palettes. The same four classic colors are used for Spring 2018 Colors for the NYC and London palettes. This isn’t really surprising when you consider that Pantone® is probably providing color support in both countries. We are open enough to suggestion that when our sources tell us the same thing, similar selections are made. You can be sure that these are not the same colors as you might have seen in Spring 2017; in looking back at that report, they didn’t provide classic colors at all.
I like how these work together; I can see them in a print or plaid working very effectively.
Spring 2018 Color: NYC Fashion
This is quite a palette. One of my criteria of a successful palette is always how the colors look together. I think they could be interesting, but overall, this is pretty odd. This is what Pantone® says:
The Spring 2018 palette encourages a sense of fun and playful release. With an air of complexity and distinctiveness, we find ourselves in a sanctuary of color that is ideal for some more unique and dramatic color mixing.
Remember, you don’t have to wear these all together! For many of us it might be appropriate to pick one or two colors to introduce into our wardrobe to give it a sense of immediacy. Rearrange the colors to see how they interact. Remember these were given in order of preference. Pull out separate palettes. See what vibes you get by mating them differently.
NYC Top 12
1. Meadowlark / Pantone 13-0646 [London-5]
2. Cherry Tomato / Pantone 17-1563 [London-1]
3. Little Boy Blue / Pantone 16-4132
4. Chili Oil / 18-1440
5. Pink Lavender / Pantone 14-3207 [London-9]
6. Blooming Dahlia / Pantone 15-1520 [London-6]
7. Arcadia / Pantone 16-5533
8. Ultra Violet / Pantone 18-3838 [London-7]
9. Emperador / Pantone 18-1028
10. Almost Mauve / Pantone 12-2103 [London-10]
11. Spring Crocus / Pantone 17-3020
12. Lime Punch / Pantone 13-0550 [London-12]
Spring 2018 Color: London Fashion
There is a lot more overlap this season than previously between these two fashion color palettes. Spring 2018 colors seem nearly the same, with some strategic differences. I would say that the overall palette is the same, and at a glance, I am not sure one would notice they were different.
London Top 12
1. Cherry Tomato / Pantone 17-1563 [NYC-2]
2. Palace Blue / Pantone 18-4043
3. Ash Rose / 17-1514
4. Nile Green / Pantone 14-0121
5. Meadowlark / Pantone 13-0646 [NYC-1]
6. Blooming Dahlia / Pantone 15-1520 [NYC-6]
7. Ultra Violet / Pantone 18-3838 [NYC-8]
8. Spiced Apple / Pantone 18-1325
9. Pink Lavender / Pantone 15-1520 [NYC-5]
10. Almost Mauve / Pantone 12-2103 [NYC-10]
11. Rapture Rose / Pantone 17-1929
12. Lime Punch / Pantone 13-0550 [NYC-12]
Color always tells a story. Where no clear narrative is given it may be interesting to see who writes the most compelling tales. Keep your eyes open to see what happens.