This is a fun way to make an interesting closure. If you collect buttons you can often find a collection of coordinating buttons to make a stunning closure. I find that going big is good, but the reality needs to be less dramatic than you might think.
You will need:
- A form to sew the buttons to such as a stitched jewelry blank, a large cabone ring, or a button to cover*.
- A selection of buttons sufficient to cover the form. I used some plastic buttons as a base then worked the shell buttons over that.
- Sewing thread and needle.
- Dental floss threader.
- Yarn to wrap around button form and buttons.
1. Use sewing thread and needle to sew base buttons to the form or fabric. These base buttons are meant to give some depth and fill some of the space.
2. Use sewing thread and needle and decorative buttons to the form or fabric, or onto the base buttons.
3. Use a dental floss threader to sew into some of the holes of the buttons, wrap around buttons and form, and form a shank for wewing the collage button to piece.