PU1 under JSSBO is a way to add a stitch to join active knitting to a bound off edge. I use this in Chinchero Mini to add the Applied Knitted Fringe. I show this in a video for Chinchero Mini if you prefer to watch that.
PU1 as an Instruction
The first thing to say about PU is that it is an abbreviation that means pick up or pull up. I have a preference for pull up because it is more descriptive of what you are doing. Picking up seems to refer to something that already exists. The whole point of this is to create a new loop on your needles: You are pulling up a new loop.
PU1 means to bring the working yarn onto the needle (usually the right needle).
- When holding the working yarn in your right hand, you will need to wrap the yarn around the needle tip after it is in place, then pull the yarn through.
- If you hold the working yarn in your left hand, scoop the yarn onto your needle and pull it through.
PU1 Under JSSBO
- From the RS of the piece with the JSSBO, the needle will be going toward the WS.
- Insert the right needle into the space under the the horizontal bars of the JSSBO stitch.
- Scoop or wrap the yarn and use your right needle to pull a loop through to the RS.
You have accomplished PU1 under JSSBO!
Tighten the PU1 by pulling on the working yarn before working the new loop together with the next stitch.